Chicken-Collagen Capsules to Ease Arthritis
Scientists there conducted a clinical trial in which 326 people with rheumatoid arthritis took 0.1 mg. of chicken collagen daily for 24 weeks, while 177 rheumatoid arthritis sufferers took methotrexate, a common drug used to treat the condition. The results? At the end of the trial, both treatment groups reported less joint pain, stiffness in the morning, sensitivity and swelling.
While 58 percent of the methotrexate group claimed to have a 20 percent improvement in symptoms and 31 percent reported a 50 percent improvement, the chicken-collagen group was not far behind: Almost 42 percent of those taking chicken pills saw an improvement of 20 percent, with 17 percent saying they felt 50 percent better.
The chicken-collagen treatment is believed to work by encouraging the body to become more tolerant of collagen, of which cartilage is mainly comprised. Cartilage is the tissue that connects bones and enables them to move against each other.
In rheumatoid arthritis sufferers, this movement is compromised. The study findings are important because methotrexate, while providing significant relief for rheumatoid arthritis sufferers, can also have side effects. The most common are nausea and vomiting, but the drug also can interfere with immune function and with liver function. It also may cause serious birth defects and is not recommended for pregnant women or anyone who plans to become pregnant. Ingesting chicken collagen, by contrast, appears to carry few risks.
Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic condition affecting 1.3 million Americans. While it may lead to long-term joint damage and affect other organs in the body, the good news is it can be managed by ever newer drugs and joint-protection techniques.
Arthritis Research & Therapy 2009
Sign Up for Free Newsletters
Ask Your Doctor the RIGHT Questions!
the most from your doctor visit.
Emailed right to you!
The Ask Your Doctor email series
may contain sponsored content.
18+, US residents only please.
Explore Original Articles About...
Get the MOST from QualityHealth
- Top Searches
- 1. Arthritis Management: Nature Heals
- 2. 5 Digestive To-Dos
- 3. Men: Should You Shave It or Leave It?
- 4. Today's Top Fitness Trends
- 5. Sugar and Osteoarthritis : The Link
- 6. Can't Afford Your Hospital Bills?
- 7. Stay Energized All Day Long
- 8. Phobias: Who Has Them and Why?
- 9. What If Your EpiPen Fails?
- 10. 5 Costly Medical Billing Mistakes
- 1. Ice Falls Can Cause Serious Injuries
- 2. Can Inactivity Act Like a Disease?
- 3. Kale Snack Recipe for Diabetics
- 4. How Running Affects Arthritis
- 5. Sugar and Your Immunity System
- 6. Do Weight Loss Supplements Work?
- 7. 5 Super Foods for Spring
- 8. The Hazards of Reusable Bags
- 9. How to Avoid Ingrown Hairs
- 10. Health Tip: Constantly Change Shoes
- 1. 4 Common Treatments for Epilepsy
- 2. What Does a Urogynecologist Do?
- 3. GERD Without Heartburn? It's Possible
- 4. Graston Technique: Can It Work on You?
- 5. Music Therapy Can Help Autism
- 6. 8 Ways to Fight MS-Related Fatigue
- 7. Can You Still Bleed After Menopause?
- 8. Be Your Own Health Care Advocate
- 9. Why Is Syphillis on the Rise?
- 10. Ideal Weight vs. Happy Weight
The material on the QualityHealth Web site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a physician or other qualified health provider. See additional information.