Natural Eggshell Membrane for Arthritis Pain Reduction
There's more good news on the natural remedies front for people living with arthritis. Natural eggshell membrane (NEM®) is a new osteoarthritis treatment that can effectively reduce pain and stiffness, according to new research published in the journal Clinical Rheumatology.
Natural eggshell membrane is a dietary supplement that primarily contains fibrous proteins such as collagen type I. It also contains other naturally occurring substances, including glycosaminoglycans such as chondroitin sulfate, sulfated glycoproteins such as glucosamine, and hyaluronic acid--which are all essential for maintaining healthy articular cartilage and the surrounding synovium.
In the double-blind, placebo-controlled Osteoarthritis Pain Treatment Incorporating NEM clinical study researchers investigated the effects and safety natural eggshell membrane for pain and stiffness in osteoarthritis of the knee. Sixty-seven study participants took 500 mg of NEM daily for eight weeks. They were evaluated at 10, 30 and 60 days for joint pain, stiffness and function using the Western Ontario and McMaster's Universities (WOMAC) osteoarthritis index.
The results were statistically significant. On average, natural eggshell membrane reduced pain by nearly 16 percent and reduced stiffness by almost 13 percent within just 10 days. In just 10 days, thirty-three percent of the NEM participants experienced more than a 30 percent reduction in pain and a quarter of them had more than a 50 percent improvement in stiffness.
What's even more impressive if you're seeking a new and improved osteoarthritis treatment, is that the effects of natural eggshell membrane were not short term. After 60 days, 32 percent of the NEM group had more than a 50 percent reduction in pain. Their stiffness also continued to get better, with an average 27 percent reduction compared to the placebo group. By the end of the trial natural eggshell membrane had reduced stiffness by half for the majority of the patients.
In a press release from ESM Technologies, the company that developed natural eggshell membrane, Anne Winkler, a rheumatologist and one of the study's authors said: "What I found most remarkable about the study was the quickness in which people responded to the eggshell membrane preparation. Generally, we tell patients taking over-the-counter products that contain glucosamine that it may be two to three months before they notice any benefits. The fact that within a fairly short period of time they noticed a definite improvement in [their symptoms] was impressive."
Natural Eggshell Membrane Side Effects
According to the researchers, natural eggshell membrane has an additional benefit over other osteoarthritis treatment; it has no known side effects and can help people with OA avoid the side effects associated with long-term use of drugs such as narcotics or non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. You're only likely to suffer an adverse reaction if you have an egg allergy.
Amount of Natural Eggshell Membrane Needed for Osteoarthritis Treatment
In the study participants reaped the benefits of NEM by taking just one 500 mg capsule daily. Compare that to the number of glucosamine, shark cartilage or MSM pills you need to take. According to Winkler, when patients take only one pill daily, they're more likely to stick to their osteoarthritis treatment and enjoy better results.
Sign Up for Free Newsletters
Ask Your Doctor the RIGHT Questions!
the most from your doctor visit.
Emailed right to you!
The Ask Your Doctor email series
may contain sponsored content.
18+, US residents only please.
Explore Original Articles About...
Get the MOST from QualityHealth
- Top Searches
- 1. Arthritis Management: Nature Heals
- 2. 5 Digestive To-Dos
- 3. Men: Should You Shave It or Leave It?
- 4. Today's Top Fitness Trends
- 5. Sugar and Osteoarthritis : The Link
- 6. Can't Afford Your Hospital Bills?
- 7. Stay Energized All Day Long
- 8. Phobias: Who Has Them and Why?
- 9. What If Your EpiPen Fails?
- 10. 5 Costly Medical Billing Mistakes
- 1. Ice Falls Can Cause Serious Injuries
- 2. Can Inactivity Act Like a Disease?
- 3. Kale Snack Recipe for Diabetics
- 4. How Running Affects Arthritis
- 5. Sugar and Your Immunity System
- 6. Do Weight Loss Supplements Work?
- 7. 5 Super Foods for Spring
- 8. The Hazards of Reusable Bags
- 9. How to Avoid Ingrown Hairs
- 10. Health Tip: Constantly Change Shoes
- 1. 4 Common Treatments for Epilepsy
- 2. What Does a Urogynecologist Do?
- 3. GERD Without Heartburn? It's Possible
- 4. Graston Technique: Can It Work on You?
- 5. Music Therapy Can Help Autism
- 6. 8 Ways to Fight MS-Related Fatigue
- 7. Can You Still Bleed After Menopause?
- 8. Be Your Own Health Care Advocate
- 9. Why Is Syphillis on the Rise?
- 10. Ideal Weight vs. Happy Weight
The material on the QualityHealth Web site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a physician or other qualified health provider. See additional information.