5 Ways to Help Your Child Succeed
Have you ever wondered why some children always make the honor roll and others seem to struggle? The difference, according to the Harvard Family Research Project, may be family involvement. As the researchers found, family engagement promotes educational success for children of all ages. The question is, are you doing your part?
Read to your child. According to the Harvard Family Research Project, young children whose parents read to them at home recognize letters of the alphabet and write their names sooner than those whose parents do not read to them.
Meet your child's teacher. When parents take the time to have one-to-one conferences with teachers, it shows their kids how much they care about their success. These children are more likely to perform better and behave more appropriately in the classroom.
Participate in school activities. Children in K-3 whose parents participate in school activities have high-quality work habits and a better understanding of task orientation, the researchers found.
Help with your child's homework. Kids whose parents provide support with homework, without taking over the assignment, perform better in the classroom.
Monitor academic and social activities. Several studies have found that adolescents whose parents monitor their academic and social activities have lower rates of delinquency and higher rates of social competence and academic growth than their unsupervised counterparts.
Sign Up for Free Newsletters
Ask Your Doctor the RIGHT Questions!
the most from your doctor visit.
Emailed right to you!
The Ask Your Doctor email series
may contain sponsored content.
18+, US residents only please.
Explore Original Articles About...
Get the MOST from QualityHealth
- Top Searches
- 1. Arthritis Management: Nature Heals
- 2. 5 Digestive To-Dos
- 3. Men: Should You Shave It or Leave It?
- 4. Today's Top Fitness Trends
- 5. Sugar and Osteoarthritis : The Link
- 6. Can't Afford Your Hospital Bills?
- 7. Stay Energized All Day Long
- 8. Phobias: Who Has Them and Why?
- 9. What If Your EpiPen Fails?
- 10. 5 Costly Medical Billing Mistakes
- 1. Hotter Temperatures Linked To Kidney Stones
- 2. Summer Bug Bites: What to Look For
- 3. Skin Health Advice with Dr. Kenneth Beer
- 4. Summer Safety Tips That Every Parent Needs To Know
- 5. Sugar and Your Immunity System
- 6. Do Weight Loss Supplements Work?
- 7. 5 Super Foods for Spring
- 8. The Hazards of Reusable Bags
- 9. How to Avoid Ingrown Hairs
- 10. Health Tip: Constantly Change Shoes
- 1. 4 Common Treatments for Epilepsy
- 2. What Does a Urogynecologist Do?
- 3. GERD Without Heartburn? It's Possible
- 4. Graston Technique: Can It Work on You?
- 5. Music Therapy Can Help Autism
- 6. 8 Ways to Fight MS-Related Fatigue
- 7. Can You Still Bleed After Menopause?
- 8. Be Your Own Health Care Advocate
- 9. Why Is Syphillis on the Rise?
- 10. Ideal Weight vs. Happy Weight
The material on the QualityHealth Web site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a physician or other qualified health provider. See additional information.