Sports cream overdose
Sports creams are cream- or ointment-based medicines used to treat aches and pains. Sports cream overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally uses more than the normal or recommended amount of this product.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Ben-Gay overdose; Menthol and methyl salicylate overdose; Methyl salicylate and menthol overdose
- Methyl salicylate
See also: Methyl salicylate overdose
Methyl salicylates and menthol are found in many over-the-counter pain-relieving creams.
- Airways and lungs
- No breathing
- Rapid breathing
- Shallow breathing
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
- Eye irritation
- Loss of vision
- Ringing in the ears
- Throat swelling
- Kidney failure
- Nervous system
- Other (from eating the poison)
- Rash (usually an allergic reaction)
- Mild burn (in extremely high doses)
- Stomach and intestines
- Vomiting, possibly with blood
If the cream was swallowed or placed in the eyes, seek immediate medical treatment. Flush the eyes with water and remove any cream that remains on the skin. Do NOT make the person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.
Before Calling Emergency
Determine the following information:
- Patient's age, weight, and condition
- The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- When it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
What to expect at the emergency room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal to prevent the drug from being absorbed into the bloodstream
- Blood tests
- Fluids given by IV
- Sodium bicarbonate, a medicine (partial antidote) to reverse the effects of the poisoning
- Tube through the mouth into the stomach to empty the stomach (gastric lavage)
If the poisoning occurred through skin exposure, the patient may receive the following:
- Washing (irrigation) of the skin, perhaps every few hours for several days
- Surgery to remove burned skin (debridement)
How well a patient does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment was received. The faster a patient gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery. Recovery is likely if the effects can be reversed.
Michael JB. Deadly pediatric poisons: nine common agents that kill at low doses. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2004;22(4):1019-1050.
Mokhlesi B, et al. Adult toxicology in critical care: Part II: specific poisonings. Chest. 2003;123(3):897-922.
Yip L. Salicylates. In: Tintinalli JE, Kelen GD, Stapczynski JS, Ma OJ, Cline DM, eds. Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 6th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2004:chap 170.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. ©1997-2014 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Alcohol Abuse and Eating Disorders: Is There a Link?
Secondary Hypertension: Get the Facts
Thick Blood: What Are the Risks?
Is It Heart Valve Disease?
Got GERD? A Magnetic Implant May Help
Sign Up for Free Newsletters
Ask Your Doctor the RIGHT Questions!
the most from your doctor visit.
Emailed right to you!
The Ask Your Doctor email series
may contain sponsored content.
18+, US residents only please.
Explore Original Articles About...
Get the MOST from QualityHealth
- Top Searches
- 1. Arthritis Management: Nature Heals
- 2. 5 Digestive To-Dos
- 3. Men: Should You Shave It or Leave It?
- 4. Today's Top Fitness Trends
- 5. Sugar and Osteoarthritis : The Link
- 6. Can't Afford Your Hospital Bills?
- 7. Stay Energized All Day Long
- 8. Phobias: Who Has Them and Why?
- 9. What If Your EpiPen Fails?
- 10. 5 Costly Medical Billing Mistakes
- 1. Hotter Temperatures Linked To Kidney Stones
- 2. Summer Bug Bites: What to Look For
- 3. Skin Health Advice with Dr. Kenneth Beer
- 4. Summer Safety Tips That Every Parent Needs To Know
- 5. Sugar and Your Immunity System
- 6. Do Weight Loss Supplements Work?
- 7. 5 Super Foods for Spring
- 8. The Hazards of Reusable Bags
- 9. How to Avoid Ingrown Hairs
- 10. Health Tip: Constantly Change Shoes
- 1. 4 Common Treatments for Epilepsy
- 2. What Does a Urogynecologist Do?
- 3. GERD Without Heartburn? It's Possible
- 4. Graston Technique: Can It Work on You?
- 5. Music Therapy Can Help Autism
- 6. 8 Ways to Fight MS-Related Fatigue
- 7. Can You Still Bleed After Menopause?
- 8. Be Your Own Health Care Advocate
- 9. Why Is Syphillis on the Rise?
- 10. Ideal Weight vs. Happy Weight
The material on the QualityHealth Web site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a physician or other qualified health provider. See additional information.