Court reverses veterans healthcare overhaul
(Reuters) - A federal appeals court has reversed a ruling that ordered a major overhaul of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs because of the agency's failure to properly treat combat-related mental problems.
An 11-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco said it lacked authority to direct changes to speed treatment of veterans.
It also said it lacked authority to consider challenges to how the department adjudicates claims.
"As much as we may wish for expeditious improvement in the way the VA handles mental healthcare and service-related disability compensation, we cannot exceed our jurisdiction to accomplish it," Judge Jay Bybee wrote for a 10-1 majority.
The case had been brought by two nonprofit groups, Veterans for Common Sense and Veterans United for Truth.
Monday's decision overturned a 2-1 ruling last May by a panel of the same court, which cited the VA's alleged "unchecked incompetence" in demanding an overhaul. The 9th Circuit later decided to rehear the case with more judges.
The veterans' groups had claimed the VA's failure to give timely treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder and other mental illnesses was a factor behind a high suicide rate among returning veterans. The VA said 18 veterans commit suicide per day.
A lawyer for the groups did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The VA also did not immediately respond.
The case is Veterans for Common Sense et al v. Shinseki et al, 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, No. 08-16728.
Sign Up for Free Newsletters
Ask Your Doctor the RIGHT Questions!
the most from your doctor visit.
Emailed right to you!
The Ask Your Doctor email series
may contain sponsored content.
18+, US residents only please.
Get the MOST from QualityHealth
- Top Searches
- 1. Arthritis Management: Nature Heals
- 2. 5 Digestive To-Dos
- 3. Men: Should You Shave It or Leave It?
- 4. Today's Top Fitness Trends
- 5. Sugar and Osteoarthritis : The Link
- 6. Can't Afford Your Hospital Bills?
- 7. Stay Energized All Day Long
- 8. Phobias: Who Has Them and Why?
- 9. What If Your EpiPen Fails?
- 10. 5 Costly Medical Billing Mistakes
- 1. Hotter Temperatures Linked To Kidney Stones
- 2. Summer Bug Bites: What to Look For
- 3. Skin Health Advice with Dr. Kenneth Beer
- 4. Summer Safety Tips That Every Parent Needs To Know
- 5. Sugar and Your Immunity System
- 6. Do Weight Loss Supplements Work?
- 7. 5 Super Foods for Spring
- 8. The Hazards of Reusable Bags
- 9. How to Avoid Ingrown Hairs
- 10. Health Tip: Constantly Change Shoes
- 1. 4 Common Treatments for Epilepsy
- 2. What Does a Urogynecologist Do?
- 3. GERD Without Heartburn? It's Possible
- 4. Graston Technique: Can It Work on You?
- 5. Music Therapy Can Help Autism
- 6. 8 Ways to Fight MS-Related Fatigue
- 7. Can You Still Bleed After Menopause?
- 8. Be Your Own Health Care Advocate
- 9. Why Is Syphillis on the Rise?
- 10. Ideal Weight vs. Happy Weight
The material on the QualityHealth Web site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a physician or other qualified health provider. See additional information.