Dutch prince in critical condition after Austria avalanche
VIENNA/AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Dutch Prince Johan Friso was in critical but stable condition in an Innsbruck hospital's intensive care unit Friday after an avalanche buried him while he was skiing off trail in the Austrian alps, police said.
The Austria Press Agency said the 43-year-old prince, middle son of Queen Beatrix, was in Innsbruck's University clinic.
"After the emergency call, rescue crews were on the scene with rescue helicopters. He could be located immediately and freed," a police official in the western ski resort of Lech told Reuters. The prince had been skiing with a group, he said.
The Dutch royal family often spends winter holidays in Lech in the western province of Vorarlberg - which like other parts of Austria has been blanketed with heavy snow in recent weeks.
Many parts of the country have avalanche alerts in effect.
Prince Johan Friso's older brother is Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and his younger brother is Prince Constantijn.
Johan Friso is not an heir to the throne because he married scandal-touched Mabel Wisse Smit without the government's permission in 2004. He would otherwise have been second in line ahead of his younger brother.
Sign Up for Free Newsletters
Ask Your Doctor the RIGHT Questions!
the most from your doctor visit.
Emailed right to you!
The Ask Your Doctor email series
may contain sponsored content.
18+, US residents only please.
Get the MOST from QualityHealth
- Top Searches
- 1. Arthritis Management: Nature Heals
- 2. 5 Digestive To-Dos
- 3. Men: Should You Shave It or Leave It?
- 4. Today's Top Fitness Trends
- 5. Sugar and Osteoarthritis : The Link
- 6. Can't Afford Your Hospital Bills?
- 7. Stay Energized All Day Long
- 8. Phobias: Who Has Them and Why?
- 9. What If Your EpiPen Fails?
- 10. 5 Costly Medical Billing Mistakes
- 1. Hotter Temperatures Linked To Kidney Stones
- 2. Summer Bug Bites: What to Look For
- 3. Skin Health Advice with Dr. Kenneth Beer
- 4. Summer Safety Tips That Every Parent Needs To Know
- 5. Sugar and Your Immunity System
- 6. Do Weight Loss Supplements Work?
- 7. 5 Super Foods for Spring
- 8. The Hazards of Reusable Bags
- 9. How to Avoid Ingrown Hairs
- 10. Health Tip: Constantly Change Shoes
- 1. 4 Common Treatments for Epilepsy
- 2. What Does a Urogynecologist Do?
- 3. GERD Without Heartburn? It's Possible
- 4. Graston Technique: Can It Work on You?
- 5. Music Therapy Can Help Autism
- 6. 8 Ways to Fight MS-Related Fatigue
- 7. Can You Still Bleed After Menopause?
- 8. Be Your Own Health Care Advocate
- 9. Why Is Syphillis on the Rise?
- 10. Ideal Weight vs. Happy Weight
The material on the QualityHealth Web site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a physician or other qualified health provider. See additional information.