FBI probes fires at women's clinics in Georgia
ATLANTA (Reuters) - The FBI says it is investigating "intentional" fires that erupted this week at two Atlanta-area women's clinics, one of which performs abortions.
"FBI-Atlanta is seeking information regarding intentional fires," the agency said in a statement.
It said the first of the blazes occurred on Sunday morning after someone broke out the front window of a gynecological office and set a fire inside the building.
"An incendiary substance was present," the FBI said in its statement. "Laboratory results are pending."
On its website, the doctor's office told patients that "the office sustained severe damage."
On Wednesday, a second fire broke out at a suburban Atlanta abortion clinic, the FBI said.
It took about 20 minutes to get the second fire under control, Cobb County Fire Department spokeswoman Denell Boyd said on Friday. There were patients inside the clinic when the fire erupted, but they were on a different floor of the building and no one was injured.
Georgia Right to Life, which opposes abortion, said in a statement that it "categorically condemns violence of any kind. Such actions are abhorrent and have no place in a civil society."
Earlier this year, there were burglaries at the headquarters of the Georgia Obstetric and Gynecological Society and two OB/GYN offices in Atlanta, said Pat Cota, the society's executive director. Laptop computers were stolen, she said.
The doctor's office damaged in Sunday's fire was one of the two offices burglarized earlier in the year, Cota added.
"It's bizarre," Cota said on Friday of the burglaries and fires. "We just wish it would stop."
She did not elaborate, but Georgia recently passed legislation outlawing most abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
Sign Up for Free Newsletters
Ask Your Doctor the RIGHT Questions!
the most from your doctor visit.
Emailed right to you!
The Ask Your Doctor email series
may contain sponsored content.
18+, US residents only please.
Get the MOST from QualityHealth
- Top Searches
- 1. Arthritis Management: Nature Heals
- 2. 5 Digestive To-Dos
- 3. Men: Should You Shave It or Leave It?
- 4. Today's Top Fitness Trends
- 5. Sugar and Osteoarthritis : The Link
- 6. Can't Afford Your Hospital Bills?
- 7. Stay Energized All Day Long
- 8. Phobias: Who Has Them and Why?
- 9. What If Your EpiPen Fails?
- 10. 5 Costly Medical Billing Mistakes
- 1. Ice Falls Can Cause Serious Injuries
- 2. Can Inactivity Act Like a Disease?
- 3. Kale Snack Recipe for Diabetics
- 4. How Running Affects Arthritis
- 5. Sugar and Your Immunity System
- 6. Do Weight Loss Supplements Work?
- 7. 5 Super Foods for Spring
- 8. The Hazards of Reusable Bags
- 9. How to Avoid Ingrown Hairs
- 10. Health Tip: Constantly Change Shoes
- 1. 4 Common Treatments for Epilepsy
- 2. What Does a Urogynecologist Do?
- 3. GERD Without Heartburn? It's Possible
- 4. Graston Technique: Can It Work on You?
- 5. Music Therapy Can Help Autism
- 6. 8 Ways to Fight MS-Related Fatigue
- 7. Can You Still Bleed After Menopause?
- 8. Be Your Own Health Care Advocate
- 9. Why Is Syphillis on the Rise?
- 10. Ideal Weight vs. Happy Weight
The material on the QualityHealth Web site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a physician or other qualified health provider. See additional information.