UK warns on painkiller, anti-psychotic drug mix-up
LONDON (Reuters) - British regulators issued a safety alert on Thursday after discovering packs of the over-the-counter painkiller Nurofen Plus containing the anti-psychotic drug Seroquel XL.
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) issued the alert, potentially affecting thousands of packs, after receiving reports of rogue Seroquel XL tablets in three different batches of Nurofen Plus.
The two medicines look very different but the MHRA said it had been informed that two patients took Seroquel XL instead of Nurofen Plus as a result of the unexplained packaging mix-up.
Seroquel XL, made by AstraZeneca, is a prescription-only drug used to treat serious psychiatric disorders including schizophrenia and bipolar disease. Nurofen Plus, made by Reckitt Benckiser, is a popular painkiller containing codeine that needs no prescription.
Neal Patel of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society said a single dose of Seroquel XL was unlikely to cause major problems for a healthy adult.
"However, for patients taking other medicines or those with other medical conditions or if you suspect you may have accidentally taken Seroqel and feel unwell, seek advice from your pharmacist or doctor as soon as possible," he said.
Sign Up for Free Newsletters
Ask Your Doctor the RIGHT Questions!
the most from your doctor visit.
Emailed right to you!
The Ask Your Doctor email series
may contain sponsored content.
18+, US residents only please.
Get the MOST from QualityHealth
- Top Searches
- 1. Arthritis Management: Nature Heals
- 2. 5 Digestive To-Dos
- 3. Men: Should You Shave It or Leave It?
- 4. Today's Top Fitness Trends
- 5. Sugar and Osteoarthritis : The Link
- 6. Can't Afford Your Hospital Bills?
- 7. Stay Energized All Day Long
- 8. Phobias: Who Has Them and Why?
- 9. What If Your EpiPen Fails?
- 10. 5 Costly Medical Billing Mistakes
- 1. Hotter Temperatures Linked To Kidney Stones
- 2. Summer Bug Bites: What to Look For
- 3. Skin Health Advice with Dr. Kenneth Beer
- 4. Summer Safety Tips That Every Parent Needs To Know
- 5. Sugar and Your Immunity System
- 6. Do Weight Loss Supplements Work?
- 7. 5 Super Foods for Spring
- 8. The Hazards of Reusable Bags
- 9. How to Avoid Ingrown Hairs
- 10. Health Tip: Constantly Change Shoes
- 1. 4 Common Treatments for Epilepsy
- 2. What Does a Urogynecologist Do?
- 3. GERD Without Heartburn? It's Possible
- 4. Graston Technique: Can It Work on You?
- 5. Music Therapy Can Help Autism
- 6. 8 Ways to Fight MS-Related Fatigue
- 7. Can You Still Bleed After Menopause?
- 8. Be Your Own Health Care Advocate
- 9. Why Is Syphillis on the Rise?
- 10. Ideal Weight vs. Happy Weight
The material on the QualityHealth Web site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a physician or other qualified health provider. See additional information.