10 Worst Desserts in America
According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, more than 66 percent of U.S. adults are currently overweight, and 32 percent are obese. In fact, in 2007, Colorado was the only state that had a prevalence of obesity under 20 percent, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). So, as sweet as the following desserts may sound, do your best to keep your distance:
1. On the Border's Chocolate Turtle Empanadas.
At 1,280 calories, 81 grams of fat, and 131 grams of carbohydrates, there's nothing slow about the pounds these desserts will add to your frame. You won't have to run fast, but avoid these turtle empanadas at all costs.
2. Cinnabon Caramel Pecanbons.
These rolls may sound sweet, but at 1,100 calories each and a total of 56 grams of fat, they'll leave you feeling less than stellar. Not to mention, each of these rolls boasts 41 grams of carbohydrates and essentially no nutritional value.
3. Baskin-Robbins' Reese's® Peanut Butter Cup Sundae.
A sundae may bring back nostalgic childhood memories, but keep your guard up. At 1,250 calories, 81 grams of fat, and 108 grams of carbohydrates, this sticky treat will foil any plans you have of fitting into your skinny jeans.
4. Denny's Banana Split.
Anything with a banana must be healthy, right? Wrong. At 894 calories and 43 grams of fat, the bananas may be good for you, but that's about the only part of this dessert with any nutritional value
5. The Macaroni Grill's Dessert Ravioli.
This dessert may make you feel adventurous, but at 1,720 calories, 89 grams of fat, and 214 grams of carbs, you may want to stick to something less frightening—say, skydiving?
6. Ruby Tuesday's Brownie.
A brownie may sound innocent, but don't be fooled. This dining terror brings with it 1,030 calories, 43 grams of fat, and 138 grams of net carbs. Sweet and simple is not always the way to go.
7. Johnny Rockets' Apple Pie a la mode.
Apple pie is all-American, and these days, so is obesity. This dessert seems to fit right into the equation at a startling 1,450 calories, 91 grams of fat, and 140 grams of carbohydrates. Don't let this pie do a number on your waistline.
8. The Cheesecake Factory Carrot Cake.
Considering an average adult's diet should consist of about 2,000 calories a day, and this carrot cake contains 1,560 calories, the numbers don't seem to add up. Don't let the word "carrot" fool you into thinking there's anything healthy about this cake; just a slice of it contains 84 grams of fat (23 grams of that are saturated).
9. Chili's Chocolate Chip Paradise Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream.
At 1,600 calories, this diet disaster boasts as many calories as three McDonald's Big Macs. It also has a terrifying 78 grams of fat and 215 grams of carbohydrates.
10. PF Chang's Great Wall of Chocolate.
This dessert is certainly great—in sheer size, calorie-count, fat-count, and the damage it'll do to your diet. With six layers of rich chocolate cake frosted with semi-sweet chocolate chips and served with raspberry sauce, this cake contains about 2,240 calories and 89 grams of fat, as well as 376 grams of carbohydrates. There does exist a miniature version of this cake, although it's still startlingly calorie- and fat-filled.
Sign Up for Free Newsletters
Ask Your Doctor the RIGHT Questions!
the most from your doctor visit.
Emailed right to you!
The Ask Your Doctor email series
may contain sponsored content.
18+, US residents only please.
Explore Original Articles About...
Get the MOST from QualityHealth
- Top Searches
- 1. Arthritis Management: Nature Heals
- 2. 5 Digestive To-Dos
- 3. Men: Should You Shave It or Leave It?
- 4. Today's Top Fitness Trends
- 5. Sugar and Osteoarthritis : The Link
- 6. Can't Afford Your Hospital Bills?
- 7. Stay Energized All Day Long
- 8. Phobias: Who Has Them and Why?
- 9. What If Your EpiPen Fails?
- 10. 5 Costly Medical Billing Mistakes
- 1. Ice Falls Can Cause Serious Injuries
- 2. Can Inactivity Act Like a Disease?
- 3. Kale Snack Recipe for Diabetics
- 4. How Running Affects Arthritis
- 5. Sugar and Your Immunity System
- 6. Do Weight Loss Supplements Work?
- 7. 5 Super Foods for Spring
- 8. The Hazards of Reusable Bags
- 9. How to Avoid Ingrown Hairs
- 10. Health Tip: Constantly Change Shoes
- 1. 4 Common Treatments for Epilepsy
- 2. What Does a Urogynecologist Do?
- 3. GERD Without Heartburn? It's Possible
- 4. Graston Technique: Can It Work on You?
- 5. Music Therapy Can Help Autism
- 6. 8 Ways to Fight MS-Related Fatigue
- 7. Can You Still Bleed After Menopause?
- 8. Be Your Own Health Care Advocate
- 9. Why Is Syphillis on the Rise?
- 10. Ideal Weight vs. Happy Weight
The material on the QualityHealth Web site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a physician or other qualified health provider. See additional information.