Boomers' Vision of Healthy Living
As of January 2011, 10,000 baby boomers will turn 65 every day. That's one every eight seconds. By 2030, boomers will be 78 million strong. It's not surprising a cohort this large is redefining what healthy aging means.
While there are many variations on the theme, boomers' vision of healthy living has several common elements.
Purpose After Retirement
According to Spirit-Health Connections, retirement presents opportunities like never before to make a difference in the lives of others that will last far into the future. Having a purpose is the great desire that helps structure our time and resources so we can make progress towards meaningful goals. It motivates, energizes, establishes priorities, and gives us momentum to overcome challenges. Furthermore, having a purpose has positive health benefits, including reducing the risk of depression.
When choosing your purpose, Spirit-Health Connections recommends it:
- Takes advantage of your strengths and abilities
- Has flexibility
- Has potential for significant impact
- Has a spiritual aspect
A survey by MetLife found that despite current employment challenges, by 2018 there will likely be more jobs than people to fill them. That's an opportunity for boomers.
Encore careers are late-career jobs that help pay the bills and provide meaning or have social impact. Currently about nine million older workers are already in an encore career. Nearly two thirds of adults see an encore career as the natural next stage of life and a time to keep working and use their skills and experience to help others in paid or volunteer positions. The top encore careers are in health care and education.
According to the MetLife survey, "Not only will there be jobs for these experienced workers to fill, but the nation will also need older workers to step up and take them-to assure continued economic growth and to provide the critical social and government services on which we all depend."
Live Long and Thrive
The AARP says today's boomers want to live long and to thrive. The key is making sound decisions about personal care and having a positive attitude. A good mood has powerful long-term health benefits and helps offset stress, illness, and pain. Here are a few of the AARP's tips for maintaining a positive attitude: listen to music, laugh, get back to nature, and volunteer.
Kaiser Permanente News Center. "From Baby Boomers to Senior Boomers: 10 Tips to Keep You Healthy and Fit." Web. 19 January 2011. http://xnet.kp.org/newscenter/healthandfitness/2011/011911seniorhealthtips.html
Moeller, Philip. "6 Reasons Why You Should Never Retire." U.S.News & World Report. Web. 14 March, 2012.
Simon, Nissa. "6 Ways to Feel Happier, Be Healthier." AARP Bulletin. Web. 13 May 2011. http://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-05-2011/6-ways-to-feel-happier-be-healthier.html
Francis, David. "Raising the Retirement Age: A Reflection of Our Evolving Economy." U.S.News & World Report. Web. 21 September 2011.
U.S.News & World Report. "More Baby Boomers Launch Encore Careers." Blog. Web. 29 November 2011.
Encore.org. "Encore Career Choices: Purpose, Passion and a Paycheck in a Tough Economy." Web. 2011,
Encore.org. "The Coming Labor Shortage and How People in Encore Careers Can Help Solve It." Web.
Spirit-Health.org. "Is the Idealized Post-Retirement 'Leisure Lifestyle' Really All That Great?" Web.
RetirementLifestyle.com. "Eight Keys to a Successful Retirement." Web.
Sign Up for Free Newsletters
Ask Your Doctor the RIGHT Questions!
the most from your doctor visit.
Emailed right to you!
The Ask Your Doctor email series
may contain sponsored content.
18+, US residents only please.
Explore Original Articles About...
Get the MOST from QualityHealth
- Top Searches
- 1. Arthritis Management: Nature Heals
- 2. 5 Digestive To-Dos
- 3. Men: Should You Shave It or Leave It?
- 4. Today's Top Fitness Trends
- 5. Sugar and Osteoarthritis : The Link
- 6. Can't Afford Your Hospital Bills?
- 7. Stay Energized All Day Long
- 8. Phobias: Who Has Them and Why?
- 9. What If Your EpiPen Fails?
- 10. 5 Costly Medical Billing Mistakes
- 1. Ice Falls Can Cause Serious Injuries
- 2. Can Inactivity Act Like a Disease?
- 3. Kale Snack Recipe for Diabetics
- 4. How Running Affects Arthritis
- 5. Sugar and Your Immunity System
- 6. Do Weight Loss Supplements Work?
- 7. 5 Super Foods for Spring
- 8. The Hazards of Reusable Bags
- 9. How to Avoid Ingrown Hairs
- 10. Health Tip: Constantly Change Shoes
- 1. 4 Common Treatments for Epilepsy
- 2. What Does a Urogynecologist Do?
- 3. GERD Without Heartburn? It's Possible
- 4. Graston Technique: Can It Work on You?
- 5. Music Therapy Can Help Autism
- 6. 8 Ways to Fight MS-Related Fatigue
- 7. Can You Still Bleed After Menopause?
- 8. Be Your Own Health Care Advocate
- 9. Why Is Syphillis on the Rise?
- 10. Ideal Weight vs. Happy Weight
The material on the QualityHealth Web site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a physician or other qualified health provider. See additional information.